All 11 art Reviews

torture.jpg torture.jpg

Dissenter be damned.

Two White Doors Two White Doors

Screw previous poster. I'm a guy that's delved in pixel art before, have played many retro games, and I can say for a fact this is pretty fitting stuff.

Depending on the situation, doing some diagonal or vertical shading (maybe on a case by case basis) would go great with the current levels of small shading, but past that it's good to go and then some.

RealFaction responds:

Yeah he's given me bad reviews before, so I don't take him seriously. Still pisses me off a little. Thanks. I've only been doing pixel art for 2 months too. :)

Sad One Punch Man Sad One Punch Man

Damn straight. I'm a long-ish term fan of the manga, including OPM-O. I don't really do anime, but the anime did a hell of a lot of right by the source material. Saitama (AKA caped baldy) never gets old, somehow.

Absolution Absolution

Really good painting. I think a fleet of more uniform bombers (vs some fighters) would've added some to the ominous feel, in addition to maybe toning down the bombs a tad.

That being said, another really astonishing piece of work, definitely a new take on colors since last I checked out your work!

Concept Guns Concept Guns

On the metric scale of precision, how precise would you say that rifle is? Sorry. I had to, but these are quite interesting. The sniper is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's breach-loaded or how its fed ammunition. The electric rifle is interesting, but really lacks explanation. The combination of (a possibly alternate use?) magazine as well as the brass cylinders make me ask if it fires electrical current or electrically charged projectiles. I do really like the flamethrower as well, but both the flamethrower and electric rifle have almost vertically used triggers. Flamethrower has the edge, so horizontal motion might work as well, depending on the range of motion required to fire, but the electrical rifle is just something else altogether.

Really interesting stuff, as always!

MiddleFingerRings responds:

Yeah, some of my designs make very little sense lol

Thanks for the review!

Moonlit Moonlit

Jesus, man. Saw your breaking bad tribute, decided to go browsing to see what else you had... inhumanly amazing. Only complaint on this one is that the eye to the viewer's right (her left) feels a bit off-center, like it's too far upwards or to the right, produces a very mild spacial thing, when it feels it should be slightly in more due to the nose's right hand facing that would expose more of left side and less of right.

Let me re-emphasize this though: magnificent. Seriously.
5/5 solid. ~WCCC

Radiant Radiant

Great stuff as always. Has this happy and serene vibe to it, especially with the couple, but I love the effect on the stars that makes them seem burning like embers or even falling from the sky a bit. Your art may never cease to amaze me.

Bit-scenery 01 Bit-scenery 01

I suspect the way the page is displaying the pixel is creating a blurring effect. I work a lot with unreal engine 1.5, and do a decent amount of work with pixels (for instance, I maintained 4 or 5 minecraft texture packs for a long while) so I can spot clean pixel vs blurred pixel a mile away. It is very good, but the blur (although I'm sure, unintentional) I think kills things a bit. The palette is also very interesting, seems pretty realistic as far as hues compared to most pixel work. Very good otherwise, Such a complex scene definitely takes a good touch with pixel art to pull off. I know large scale is when things tend to get crazy.

Waterflame responds:

Thank you! I appericiate the feedback :)

The Hydra The Hydra

Interesting. You talk about heads (a popular point with the mythical hydra) and these heads seem to be part star as a cool space-y secondary effect. The little cross-shaped twinkle has me wondering, are these madness combat style heads being used for an extravagant multi-purpose? Really liking a lot of your works, and congrats on the 2nd place in the contest, too. Though that's old news... just read about it, definitely neat to get recognizing by the famous Serj.

Littleluckylink responds:

Thank you sir. That was a quote from the song Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson. The stars weren't intended to be Madness Combat heads, they're actually the highlighted points of the Hydra constellation that can be seen in this. I like to relate this painting to the idea of something being unstoppable. Like a dream, idea, or general surge of inspiration/motivation. I might also say that the spider can be kinda related to the old nursery rhyme of the spider climbing up the water spout. I tend to go pretty abstract with these meanings behind these but it's always fun reading interpretations and sharing whatever background I can and whatever secrets may lie behind them.

Thank you for the review! Also yeah, I really do need to get around to making a new blog post..

Trailing From Without Trailing From Without

Man, you make some pretty demented art sometimes. That aside, this is a pretty high quality piece since I know watercolor is a bitch to work with sometimes. I do also think often twisted stuff like this is quite complemented by the smeared and smudged style of watercolor.

Interesting indeed.